The National Overseas Scholarship Scheme (NOSS) is a flagship program of the Indian government, designed to provide financial assistance to meritorious Indian students who wish to pursue higher studies abroad. The scheme is administered by the Ministry of Education, Government of India, and aims to promote academic excellence and research in various fields.
The scheme provides financial assistance to selected Indian students who have secured admission to a reputed foreign university for a Masters or PhD program in select fields of study. The scholarship covers tuition fees, living expenses, and other related expenses for the duration of the course.
Eligibility Criteria For National Overseas Scholarship Scheme
To be eligible for the National Overseas Scholarship Scheme, the applicant must meet the following criteria:
- Indian citizenship: The applicant must be a citizen of India.
- Age limit: The applicant must be below 35 years of age as on 1st April of the year of application.
- Educational qualifications: The applicant must have a consistently good academic record with a minimum of 60% marks or equivalent grade in the qualifying examination.
- Admission to a foreign university: The applicant must have secured admission to a recognized foreign university for a Masters or PhD program in select fields of study.
- Fields of study: The scholarship is available for select fields of study, which include Engineering & Technology, Management, Applied Sciences, Agriculture and Humanities & Social Sciences.
- Income limit: The applicant’s family income should not exceed Rs. 6,00,000 per annum from all sources.
- Employment status: The applicant must not be in employment or self-employment at the time of application.
Benefits of National Overseas Scholarship Scheme
The National Overseas Scholarship Scheme offers a number of benefits to selected candidates, which include:
- Financial assistance: The scheme provides financial assistance to cover tuition fees, living expenses, and other related expenses for the duration of the course.
- Airfare: The scholarship covers the cost of airfare to the foreign university and back to India after the completion of the course.
- Health insurance: The scheme provides health insurance coverage to the student for the duration of the course.
- Research expenses: The scholarship also covers expenses related to research work during the course.
- Opportunity to study in a reputed foreign university: The scholarship provides an opportunity for selected candidates to study in a reputed foreign university and gain exposure to a global academic environment.
How to Apply
The application process for the National Overseas Scholarship Scheme is as follows:
- Visit the official website of the Ministry of Education, Government of India.
- Click on the link for the National Overseas Scholarship Scheme.
- Read the guidelines and instructions carefully.
- Download the application form and fill in the required details.
- Attach all the necessary documents, such as academic transcripts, admission letter, income certificate, etc.
- Submit the completed application form along with the required documents to the designated authority.
- The selection process includes a written test followed by an interview.
- The selected candidates will be notified by the Ministry of Education.
National Overseas Scholarship Scheme FAQs
Q.No. 1. Who can apply for National Overseas Scholarship Scheme?
Answer: This scheme is open for all ST students who are currently pursuing or wish
to opt for higher studies abroad for Masters, PhD & Post-Doctoral research
programme. The candidate should fulfill the criteria as per the scheme guidelines for
National Overseas Scholarship Scheme of Ministry of Tribal Affairs. The guidelines
may be seen at https://overseas.tribal.gov.in/.
Q. No. 2. Is there any age criteria foravailing scholarship?
Answer: The age of student should not be more than 35 years as on 1st July of the
Q. No. 3. Is there any family income criteria required foravailing scholarship?
Answer: The Total family’s income from all sources of the candidate or his/her
parents/guardians or spouse should not exceed Rs. 6,00,000/- per annum (excluding
such allowances as are not treated as part of total income for the purpose of Income
Tax) as certified by the employer. If the candidate is currently employed, a copy of
latest tax assessment [ ITR, Form-16] be also enclosed in the application.
Q. No. 4. Can more than one child of the same parent /Guardianavail
scholarship under the scheme?
Answer: Not more than one child of the same parents/guardians will be eligible and
to certify this a self-certification will be required from the candidate. An individual can
be given the award only once and cannot be considered for the award for second or
Q. No. 5. Who can issue the income certificate?
Answer: The Income certificate should be issued by competent authority of State
Q. No. 6. What is the minimum qualification required foravailing scholarship?
Answer: The minimum qualification is required for availing scholarship is as follows: –
❖ For Post-Doctoral: 55% marks or equivalent grade in relevant Master’s Degree
Experience: 5 Years – Research /Teaching /Professional in the concerned field
is desirable. Candidates with experience would be given preference.
❖ For PhD: 55% marks or equivalent grade in relevant Master’s Degree.
Experience: 2 Years – Teaching /Research/Professional/M.Phil Degree in the
concerned field is desirable. Candidates with experience would be given
❖ For Master’s Degree: 55% marks or equivalent grade in relevant Bachelor’s
Experience: 2 Years work experience in the concerned field is desirable.
Candidates with experience would be given preference.